I. Baseball and the Strike out
A. Rough start (1Ki 1-2)
B. Promising beginning? God meets with him in a dream. (1Ki 3:5)
1. What would you ask for?
2, Solomon asked for wisdom to govern God’s people. ( 1Ki 3:9-13, Prov 1:2-4,7)
3. Wealth and honor are present in the Kingdom.
4. Peacemaking and diplomacy (1Ki 4:21, 24-25)
C. Where is this kingship going?
1. Alliance with Egypt (1Ki 3:1)
2. Walked according to David but sacrificed on the high places (1 Ki 3:3, Dt. 12:13-14)
3. Accumulated chariots and horses (1Ki 10:26,28, Dt. 17:14-17, Isa 31:1)
4. Acquired many wives (1Ki 11:1-3, Ex 34:12-16)
5. Worshiped idols and promoted idolatry (1Ki 11:7-8)
6. Final assessment is that Solomon wasn’t true to God (1Ki 11:4)
III. Heavenly Kingdom
A. So what was God trying to communicate to the world?
1. A longing for a heavenly, perfect King and kingdom
2. A picture of what it will look like when this King establishes his kingdom
B. When the Queen of Sheba comes (1Kings 10:1, 4-9)
1. The nations stream to God’s people
2. The nations are amazed
3. Christ is the king
4. The Church pictures the Kingdom (Heb 11:10)