Part-Time Pastor of Outreach
Hope In Christ Church
Mission Statement: Glorifying God by knowing, living and proclaiming our Hope In Christ.
Hope In Christ Church is a well-established (50+ years) ministry of the Christian Reformed Church (CRCNA.ORG) located in Bellingham, WA, a vibrant, growing city of 90,000+ residents. Bellingham is on the shore of Bellingham Bay, a body of water connected to the Salish Sea in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. The city is strategically placed alongInterstate 5, the main corridor between Seattle, WA and Vancouver, British Columbia. Being near the Canadian border has fostered the growth of a richly diverse population.
Current Challenges: We are an aging congregation with limited staff consisting of 1 full-time pastor and part-time staff including church secretary and a youth education coordinator (pre-school to high school).
Current Strengths: Approx.. 100+ enthusiastic members and a healthy budget. Our strongest ministry is Friendship, an outreach designed to serve adults with mental/physical disabilities. Next is GEMS, an outreach to young girls. We are also a support congregation for Family Promise, a nation-wide program designed to address homelessness. Volunteers teach SundaySchool and lead a high school age group. Volunteers also head vibrant worship, hospitality, small groups and janitorial teams.
Two years ago, our congregation made the Spirit filled decision to move forward and become a healthy missional church. We adopted a spiritual growth model based on Congregational Vitality, a vision/pathway for becoming a healthy missional church developed by the Evangelical Covenant Church and now shared with RCA and CRC churches.
This led us to form a Vitality Team to guide us. They organized several church-wide workshops to further develop what is means to be healthy and missional. That has included encouraging members aged teen to adult to study together such materials as The Story and Believe by Randy Frazee. After a church-wide survey we learned that our greatest weakness lies in the area of outreach. Since Christ’s Great Commission calls us to tell the good news we desire to reverse this situation. As a result, we are taking the step of moving from a single pastor to a multi-staff ministry with the intent of bringing on board a person gifted in discipleship and outreach.
Who we are looking for:
This person reports to the Senior Pastor and is responsible to model outreach and lead our congregation in learningto share faith in Jesus with their family, neighbors and coworkers.
- Love for Jesus and people
- Evidence of the Fruit of the Spirit in daily life
- Devotion to the Word of God
- Strong communication skills and the ability to motivate volunteers toward the vision of Hope in Christ.
- Clarity of vision.
- Devotion to prayer.
- Reliable, self-motivated and takes initiative.
- Able to change and grow and find it invigorating.
- Commitment to mission and vision of Hope in Christ.
- Ability to work on a team and under leadership of senior pastor and council.
Essential Outreach Duties
- Coordinate all care activities to further the outreach desires of Hope in Christ.
- Provide visionary and strategic leadership in outreach and sharing Jesus so that all Hope in Christ recognizes that outreach, sharing our faith and missions are essential to mature discipleship.
- Outreach to those who do not yet profess faith in Jesus.
- Training others to share their faith in Jesus in non-confrontational, relational ways.
- Pray for church and lost
- Provide pastoral leadership and support to all committees so that outreach and discipleship are integral to their work and goals.
Additional Duties (as appropriate and/or needed)
- Occasionally preach in services
- Attend administrative meetings including but not limited to Staff, Elder and Council mtgs.
- Bilingual in Spanish, Mandarin/Cantonese, Ukrainian-Russian or Punjabi
- Reformed World and life view
- Established history in successful outreach
- Must become a member of Hope in Christ Church
- Bible School or Seminary Student/Graduate a plus but not required if proven track record of successfully sharing the faith with others.
- Ability and Willingness to pursue Article 23 Ordination or Minister of the Word and Sacraments within the CRCNA.
Pay and Benefits: Contract with annual review.
16 hours per week
- Base Salary: $16,000/year
- Housing Allowance: $7,500/year
- Expense Account: $1800/year
- Denominational retirement if ordained as minister of Word and Sacrament $7704
- Paid Vacation: Years of Service 0-3= 4days; Years 4-5 = 7 days; Years 6+ = 10days.
Total: $25,300 + payroll taxes
Start date is flexible, but between June 1-August 1, 2020 is desired.
To apply, please submit resume and cover letter by April 30, 2020 along with 3 references, as follows:
- Current employer
- Current pastor
- One other
Materials should be sent to Hope in Christ Church, Attn: Pastor of Outreach, 710 E. Sunset Drive, Bellingham, WA 98226.
Applications will be reviewed and interviews arranged as they are received.
To learn more about Hope in Christ Church click here.
To email the staff a question about the position, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Description Approved: December 22, 2019