Here is some research from Barna backing up the claim I have been making in our Adult Sunday School Class on comparative worldviews. This is a very insightful article about the way that worldviews hostile to Christianity are influencing the church and her people.
For example, only 17% of practicing Christians have a “biblical worldview”, which Barna defines as:
- believing that absolute moral truth exists;
- the Bible is totally accurate in all of the principles it teaches;
- Satan is considered to be a real being or force, not merely symbolic;
- a person cannot earn their way into Heaven by trying to be good or do good works;
- Jesus Christ lived a sinless life on earth; and
- God is the all-knowing, all-powerful creator of the world who still rules the universe today.
In partnership with Summit Ministries, Barna conducted a study among practicing Christians in America to gauge how much the tenets of other key worldviews—including new spirituality, secularism, postmodernism and Marxism—have influenced Christians’ beliefs about the way the world is and how it ought to be.