Sunday Morning Worship Service
September 9, 2018
Welcome to Hope in Christ Church! We are so glad you have joined us today. After the service, we invite you to stay for refreshments and fellowship, followed by Sunday School at 11:00. There are various small groups that meet during the week as well. You are welcome to visit and find one that is right for you!
Order of Worship
God of Angel Armies
Prayer and Greeting
Jesus Son of God
The Servant King
Litany: Isaiah 11:1-6
Once in Royal David’s City
Come Thou Long Expected Jesus
Offering Kingdom Advancement Fund
Meekness and Majesty
Reflection on “The Story,” Ch.22: Ruth S
Scripture Luke 1:26-33
Message God’s Four-Word Promise
Infant Holy, Infant Lowly
You Never Let Go
Bible Reading for this Week
Enclosed is a paper with questions for you to consider as you read through Chapter 23 of The Story this week. Pastor Scott’s sermon next Sunday, Sep 16th, is titled “A Dozen Names for Jesus’ Ministry,” and is based on scriptures found in Chapter 23. Please bring the insert with you next week for reference during Sunday School discussion. If you do not have a copy of The Story, please let Don Recker know today.
Each week we pray for members of our church family. Suggested prayers are for their spiritual growth, opportunities to see Christ in their everyday lives, and anything else that God puts on your mind for them. This week please pray for:
- Deloris P
- Joe P
- Bridger R
- Mona R
- Lisa O
- Debra R
Pray for Ministries in Whatcom County. Following are needs from Engedi Refuge, Love INC, and Cascade Connections.
- Engedi Refuge is looking for housing options for clients who have moved through the program and are working to reintegrate into the community. Engedi Refuge is a local ministry providing a restorative residential program for women who have survived sexual exploitation and trafficking. The housing needs vary from apartment rentals to renting a room or basement suite in a safe and loving home environment. If you or someone you know owns rentals or is willing to rent a room in your house, please contact Engedi at (360) 922-7600 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Love INC is looking for phone call volunteers for its Calling Center. If you are available to serve between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. any days Mondays through Thursdays, call the office at (360) 671-6201.
- Cascade Connections is seeking caring and compassionate people to help support and serve individuals with disabilities. Cascade Christian Home in Lynden needs part-time staff for assisting clients with all activities of daily living including cooking, cleaning, bathing and going on supported trips in the community. Staff will provide all the necessary training to those who are willing to serve. If you have a heart for this type of ministry or for more information, please call a manager at (360) 398-2052 or e-mail email@example.com.
THIS WEEK’S MISSIONAL MARKER
Transforming communities through active compassion, mercy and justice ministries (Micah 6:8)
- We are burdened for the hurting people in our community and beyond.
- We have identifiable pathways for compassion, mercy and justice ministries to take place.
- Our people are equipped and growing in their ability to see and address the hurts and the causes of hurt in our community and beyond.
Thank you! Don K wishes to thank you, his church family, for your prayer and support during these last few weeks, both for Connie and for himself.
It’s Grandparents’ Day today! Grandparents (both official and honorary) can have a deep impact on children’s faith. If you’re a grandparent or someone who has that role in a child’s life, let them know today how very much they mean to you. Ask them how you can pray for them. Share stories of times when you felt God’s love for you, and assure kids that Jesus loves them too. (Faith Formation Ministries; crcna.org/FaithFormation)
The Story Cards for Children: Children are invited to take a story card home with them today. The cards correspond to the chapter of The Story that we are covering each week. This Sunday, the card has an illustration of Mary, Joseph and Jesus on the front. Look for the card box at the back of the sanctuary every Sunday.
Faithfest 2018: Visit Lynden this coming weekend Sept. 14-16, at the Northwest Washington Fairgrounds Haggen Expo Building. The Keepers of the Faith will again be hosting Faithfest. Joining them will be singer/comedian Tim Lovelace, Master’s Voice, the Freedom Singers, the Taito Family and the Monument singers. Tickets will be sold at the door and online. For more info, visit www.faithfestevents.com.
Save the Date! Hospitality Team is planning a birthday-themed dinner for the entire congregation, to be held Friday evening, November 9th. You and others with the same birthday month (or a combined group of 2 months) will have fun together creating a skit, musical, word game, etc., so start thinking now! A sign-up sheet will be available soon.
The Lighthouse Mission’s Day-After-Thanksgiving Dinner (at Assumption Church on Cornwall): If you’d like to join in on the fun of serving the dinner with your fellow HiC-ers, please let Scott Emory know VIA EMAIL at firstname.lastname@example.org. BY SUNDAY, SEPT 30TH AT THE LATEST. It’s a mid-morning to early-afternoon commitment.
Love INC Annual Fundraising Celebration: This year’s special evening, Friday, October 12, from 6-8 pm, will include a silent auction, dinner, live music, dessert dash and program in support of this ministry of mobilizing churches to serve community members in need. About 20 dessert donations are still needed. If you would like to donate a dessert or an item for the auction, contact Shannon: email@example.com or 360-671-6201.
SERVANTS NEXT SUNDAY: September 16, 2018
- Greeters: Barb & Joe Z
- Cookies: Tena V, Barb Z
- Serving Assistants: Amber, Caleb, Clara
- Ushers: Elaine S, Deloris P
- Foyer: Mike B
- Prayer Room: Len VW
- Children’s Sunday School Hour: Aaron, Darlys, Marjie, Ali, Tena
Children’s Sunday School Memory Verses
Wonder Class: 1st-3rd Grade
And God said, this is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. Genesis 9:12-13 NIV
Marvel Class: 4th-5th Grade
Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. Psalm 51:10-12 NIV
Dive Class: 6th Grade +
The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23 NIV
This Week at Hope in Christ Church
8:15am Prayer upstairs, all are welcome
9:30am Worship Service
11:00am Sunday School
4:30pm Jesus Gathering
7:00pm Laninga Small Group (in home)
MONDAY (Office Closed)
7:00pm Friendship Class
TUESDAY (Office Hours: 8:30-3:00)
6:00pm Richards Small Group (in home)
WEDNESDAY (Office Hours: 8:30-3:00)
11:00am Recker Cleaning Crew
7:00pm Council Meeting
THURSDAY (Office Hours: 8:30-3:00)
6:30am Men’s Support Group – Herm Laninga (733-1415)
1:00pm Bulletin Deadline
7:00pm Praise Team Practice- Melissa Koning (360-870-3552)
FRIDAY (Office Hours: 8:30-3:00)
SATURDAY (Office Closed)