Glorifying God by Knowing, Living and Proclaiming our Hope in Christ
December 2, 2018 9:30 a.m. Worship Service
Welcome to Hope in Christ Church! We are so glad you have joined us today. After the service, we invite you to stay for refreshments and fellowship. There are various small groups that meet during the week. You are welcome to visit and find one that is right for you!
Order of Worship
Children’s Christmas Program
O Come, All Ye Faithful
Amber, Zeke, Kylie, Caleb Come, Thou Long Expected Jesus
Mattea O Little Town of Bethlehem
Who is He in Yonder Stall?
Abee, Amariah, Clara Hark the Herald Angels Sing
Offering Kingdom Advancement Fund
Dive Class It Came Upon the Midnight Clear
Wonder Class & Children and Worship Away in a Manger
Wonder & Marvel Classes Jesus, Our Brother Strong and Good
Dive Class Infant Holy, Infant Lowly
Wonder, Marvel, Dive Classes Silent Night, Holy Night
All Sing Go, Tell it on the Mountain
Pastor Scott Prayer & Closing
All Sing Joy to the World
BIBLE READING for THIS WEEK
Pastor Scott’s sermon title for next Sunday, December 9th, is “Jesus’ Humanity is Essential.” The main scriptures will be Luke 2:1-7; 1 John 4:2-3 and 2 John 7.
Each week we pray for members of our church family. Suggested prayers are for their spiritual growth, opportunities to see Christ in their everyday lives, and anything else that God puts on your mind for them. This week please pray for:
- Linda M
- Herm & Ali L
- Lou & Ev K
- Doug & Winnie K
- Brian & Melissa K: Abee, Brenna, John, Zachariah
Prayers from the staff and volunteers of Whatcom Love INC. . .
- Prayers for continued health and wellness during this holiday season. The season means many things, for some the amount of stress almost over shadows the joy of the season. May we all take a moment to breathe, remember the many things we are thankful for, and to slow down in this fast-paced world.
- Prayers for all those that may have needs outside of our resources; though we may not be able to fulfill every need, we pray for continued discernment that we are able to refer to resources that may be able to offer assistance. This really weighs on our hearts as the weather is getting colder and the Christmas season begins.
- Continued prayer that the administrative, volunteer, and board positions may be filled. We are so blessed.
Praises from the staff and volunteers of Whatcom Love INC. . .
- For the continued mild weather in our region, we are so blessed to have such mild weather this November.
- Thank you for the amazing support of our Christmas Basket program; many sponsors have come forward to help 16 families in need.
- Thank you to those who have stepped forward to volunteer, we have been able to help assess 3 clients’ needs (structural, winterizing, and carpentry). In addition, our volunteers continue to bless so many, in-need, through prayer. Thank you team!
- So grateful that furniture donations continue to be made at Habitat for Humanity on behalf of Love INC; as we are able to continue giving furniture vouchers to needy families. The tally for the last 3 months is over 60 families.
- We are thankful this holiday for the blessings that the Lord continues to shower Love INC with, what a joy to be working with such wonderful staff, volunteers, partners and community.
The congregation of Hope in Christ Church has made the Spirit-filled decision to move forward and become a healthy missional church.
This week’s Missional Marker is: Compelling Christian Community (Acts 2:42-47)
- We understand that our love for one another is a powerful testimony to the deity of Jesus.
- We love each other as we are, not as we should be.
- We share life together beyond the worship service.
Mark Your Calendar: There will be a potluck lunch at the end of this month, on Sunday, December 30th. More details to come!
Ladies’ Wednesday Bible Study: This group will meet on December 5 and 12, break for Christmas, then meet again on January 9th. The meeting on December 12 will be at Ruth’s home for bible study and lunch.
Friendship Class Christmas Program: The Friendship Class invites you to their Christmas performance on Monday evening, December 10th at 7:00 p.m. You won’t want to miss it! Please add to Friendship’s collection for the food bank by bringing non-perishable items when you come.
Women’s Severe Weather Shelter for the Lighthouse Mission: The shelter will be open every day during December, January and February. Our church has signed up to provide chili and rolls each Wed. evening. If you would like to provide rolls or a crockpot of chili, choose your Wednesday and sign up on the poster in the foyer. The food needs to be at Fountain Community Church by 6:30 p.m. If you don’t have a large crockpot or if you have any questions, contact Terry Vander Woude. You can pick up your crockpot on Thursday at Fountain Community Church or arrange with Terry to have it picked up and brought to our church.
Prepare Your Heart: Starting December 3, World Renew and the CRC Office of Social Justice will distribute free email devotionals during Advent in 2018. Don’t let Christmas presents overtake the Christmas Presence. Sign up to receive reflections on this year’s theme, Holy Impatience, every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday through Christmas Day. The series will explore doing justice in a world that belongs to God, a world where so many are both celebrating glimpses of the kingdom and eagerly yearning for it. Go to crcna.org/advent to sign up today!
SERVANTS NEXT SUNDAY: December 9, 2018
- Greeters: Lou & Ev K
- Cookies: Jolene S, Megan S
- Serving Assistants: AnaMaria, Chantel, Michal
- Ushers: Elaine S, Joe P (foyer)
- Children’s Sunday School: Jen R, Amber, Jolene S, Michael B, Aaron S
- Prayer Room: Ida R
Sunday School Memory Verses
- Wonder Class— Numbers 6:24-26
- Dive Class— Psalm 23
- Marvel Class— Matthew 7:7-8