If you want to make a gift/offering to Hope in Christ Church, click here to learn about ways to give.
You can view a digital bulletin Here
You can watch a Livestream at 9:30 am on our facebook account.
- Imagine Yourself in Jerusalem for Passover
- The crowds of people
- Why are they all coming? What is Passover about? (Exo 11-13, Jn 2:12-13)
- What does Jesus find? (Jn 2:14)
- He should have found piety, worship, prayer…
- What he found was quite the opposite.
- And all of this in the one place the nations could come to worship.
- How does Jesus respond? (Jn 2:15-16)
- Jesus makes a whip
- Drives them out of the Temple
- Worship isn’t about getting the right product.
- Jesus wants people to be able to worship freely, without distraction.
- The Temple, My Father’s House, This temple
- There are three different terms/phrases used to refer to the temple in this story
- They want a sign: (Jn 2:18)
- Prove to us that you have the authority to do this, you aren’t a priest. Why are you trying to clean up our space?
- Almost as if they are asking “Who are you to do this in our temple?”
- The Great Sign (Jn 2:19)
- Not about a physical building.
- He was talking about his own life, the true temple of God
- Jesus is the one who situates worship in terms of true sacrifice and true temples (Jn 1:29, Rev 21:22)
- Why is this called the Cleansing of the Temple?
- Jesus eclipses the structure for his Body
- Jesus will cleanse his people into a new Temple (1Cor 6:19-20)