How do the New Testament and the Old Testament Relate? How does the Bible interpret itself?
- Thematically Christocentric
- 2Cor 1:20 – All the promises of God are yes and amen in Christ
- Luke 24 – Emmaus Road. Beginning with Moses and the Prophets Christ interpreted the things about himself.
- Historically Christocentric
- Gal 4:4-7 – in the fullness of time, God sent his Son…
- Christ is the key to understanding history and redemptive history
- Progressive Revelation
- Heb 1:1-3 God has spoken in various ways but in the last days He spoken through Christ
- OT anticipates the NT
- Interpret the OT in light of the NT and the NT according to the background of the OT
- Illustration: Oak Tree and Acorn. Both genetically the same, but one is bigger and fuller than the other.
All of this leads us to recognize there is 1 plan of God, 1 story of God and 1 people of God brought together in Christ!