Glorifying God by Knowing, Living and Proclaiming our Hope in Christ
October 20, 2019
9:30 a.m. Worship Service 11:00 a.m. Sunday School
Order of Worship
Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing
Welcome & Greeting
Good to Me
God is So Good
Jesus This is You
Offering Outreach Fund
His Mercy is More
Scripture Romans 12: 9-21
Message The Weapon of Goodness
Hallelujah to My King
Bible Reading for this Week
Read through Chapter 28 of Believe this week as you ponder the following questions:
- What in this chapter spoke to me the most? Was there something I saw in a new light?
- What in this chapter draws me to live more fully for Christ?
- Is there something that I would want to share from my heart with someone who may not know Jesus as their Savior?
Guest Pastor Next Week: Aaron Walters will be preaching next Sunday, Oct. 27th on ‘Faithfulness,’ which is the topic of Chapter 28 in Believe.
Each week we pray for members of our church family. Suggested prayers are for their spiritual growth, opportunities to see Christ in their everyday lives, and anything else that God puts on your mind for them. This week please pray for:
- Cathy A
- Elaine B
- Philip B
- Helen B
- Michael & Jennifer B: Nathan, Evan
- Del & Pat B
Pray for Iranian Christians: Iranian Christians request prayer for nine men of the “Church of Iran” denomination who have each received a five-year prison sentence due to their Christian faith and activity. Friends of those who have been sentenced request prayer for them and their families that:
- the Lord will encourage the nine men and their families and that their faith in the Lord Jesus will be strengthened.
- the appeal will be successful and the unjust sentences overturned.
- belief in Jesus Christ and following Him will not be reckoned as “acting against national security” by the Iranian authorities and that Iranian citizens will no longer be persecuted because of holding to different religious beliefs (christianresponse.org)
The congregation of Hope in Christ Church has made the Spirit-filled decision to move forward and become a healthy missional church. This week’s Missional Marker is: Life Transforming Walk With Jesus (John 3:3, 30; Phil. 1:6)
- We teach our people how to be attentive to Christ in all circumstances.
- Our people understand the radical nature of the message and mission of Jesus that continually deconstructs and reconstructs a person’s life.
- Our people are equipped and growing in their ability to use a variety of spiritual growth resources, experiences, and settings.
Sunday School Memory Verses
Wonder: Luke 2:8-14 Marvel: Psalm 23 Dive: Psalm 95
From Family Promise: Family Promise is celebrating the fact that the important work we do with Whatcom County families experiencing homelessness is being magnified by the other 200+ affiliates across the country. Working together, we have a goal to help change the lives of one million children by 2030 and have designated October 25th as Family Promise Giving Day! We hope to raise $1 million dollars in one day in a concerted effort to raise awareness of childhood homelessness, continuing the work of Family Promise throughout the country. We appreciate your generosity in extending your time, talent, and warm hospitality to our Family Promise guests during our host weeks. Please consider also donating on October 25th. To do so, please find this link online to make your donation: https://www.fpgives.org/organizations/family-promise-of-whatcom-county. If just 100 people donate $50 on October 25th, we will meet our goal of $5,000 for our local Whatcom County affiliate!
Upcoming Meetings: There will be a pre-budget meeting next Sunday, Oct. 27th, during the Sunday school hour. Copies of the proposed budget and job descriptions are available in the foyer. A presentation of the Ethiopia mission trip and a congregational meeting are planned for November 17th.
Safe Spaces Conference: This equipping conference addresses the prevalent challenge/struggle in the churches today surrounding unwanted sexual behaviors by adults, pornography use, and the risks and behaviors happening amongst our teens and kids as a result of the easy and immediate access to internet porn. Jay Stringer, pastor, therapist and author, will give a key note address, “Unwanted: How Sexual Brokenness Reveals Our Way to Healing & Freedom from Unwanted Sexual Behavior & Pornography Use.”
“Protect Young Eyes” presents “Safer Digital Spaces for Kids: Educate Adults to Empower Kids & Youth for Responsible Online Choices.” There are five workshops to choose from.
The conference will be held on Saturday, November 16 from 8:30-3:30 at New Life CRC in Abbotsford. Brochures and a carpool sign-up are available in the foyer. The cost of the event is given in Canadian dollars in the brochure. If you would like help covering the expense, please let the office know.
HICC 15th Annual Craft Fair: The craft fair will be on Saturday, Nov. 2 from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. Donations of homemade goodies and crafts are needed! We also need help selling the items. For a small fee Ken Wick will sharpen your knives while you shop. There is room for additional vendors, so let your friends and family know!
SERVANTS NEXT SUNDAY: October 27th
- Ushers: Helen B., Elaine S.
- Prayer Room: Ali L.
- Cookies: Donna V., Terry V.
- Serving Assistants: Brenna, Mattea, Maggie
- Greeters: Karen S., Chris P.
- Children’s Sunday School: Darlys, Bekah, Aaron
- Children & Worship: Dan O., Michal R.
- Council Observer: Rockelle R.
This Week at Hope in Christ Church
8:15 a.m. Prayer upstairs, all are welcome
9:30 a.m. Worship Service
11:00 a.m. Sunday School
MONDAY (Office Closed)
6:00 p.m. G.E.M.S. Meeting
TUESDAY (Office Hours: 8:30-3:00)
6:30 p.m. Boer’s Bible Study (in home)
WEDNESDAY (Office Hours: 8:30-3:00)
9:45 a.m. Women’s Bible Study
11:00 a.m. Recker Cleaning Crew
THURSDAY (Office Hours: 8:30-3:00)
6:30 a.m. Men’s Support Group
12:00 p.m. Bulletin Deadline
7:00 p.m. Men’s Bible Study
FRIDAY (Office Hours: 8:30-3:00)
SATURDAY (Office Closed)