If you want to make a gift/offering to Hope in Christ Church, click here to learn about ways to give.
You can view a digital bulletin Here oR check out our FACEBOOK ACCOUNT.
You can watch our Livestream at 9:30 am on Sunday Mornings.
Tithes and Offerings in the OT
- 32 instances of the word Tithe(s) in the OT, (9 in the NT)
- Tithe is different than offerings (2Chr 31:12, Ex 13:12, Neh 12:44)
- What was the tithe?
- Agricultural gift from the bounty God provided from the land or animal (Lev 27:30-32, Neh 13:5)
- 1/10 (Lev 27:32, Gen 14:17-20)
- OT Tithe was never money, income per se.
- Who received the Tithe?
- Levites (Num 18;21, 26, Neh 13:5)
- Offerors (Dt 12:17-18, 14:22-27)
- Sojourners, fatherless, and widows (Dt 26:12)
- Something one was to test God in (Mal 3:10)
Tithes in NT (Mt 23:23, Lk 11:42, 18:12)
- Jesus on the tithe (a work of the OT Law)
- Christian interpretations of the Tithe
All Christians are to give
- Freely & Generously (2Cor 8:2-3, 9:11, Ex 36:1-7)
- Cheerfully & Intentionally (2Cor 9:6-14)
- To care for needy brothers and sisters around the Globe and in our own families (1Tim 5:16)
- To further Gospel ministry (1Tim 5:17-18)
The Gospel: We give because God has given so much (2Cor 9:15)