In an effort to help you prepare for the January 31st, 2016, Sunday morning corporate worship gathering and to aid you in your own reflections about church health and vitality, I wanted to pose a few questions and provide a few resources to prayerfully consider over the coming days. The sermon is about how we are called to create and promote compelling Christian community. (As Jason Hubbard, Light of the World Prayer Center, will be our guest preacher this week, this weeks resource is very simplified.)
The scriptures below are all referenced in the message.
From the Scriptures
- Read and prayerfully reflect upon these Scriptures asking God to shape your life and your church’s life to match the Scriptures where they are positive and to keep you from the struggles others experienced where: Acts 2:42-47, John 17:20-23, Ephesians 4:1-6
From the Creeds and Confessions
- Read and prayerfully reflect upon Heidelberg Catechism Question 55 recognizing that as members of the communion of saints we have a responsibility to one another.
From the Songs of the Church
For Thoughtful Reflection, Prayer, or further Study
- When you think of a community which would be a compelling picture of love, what attributes does it have?
- How many of these attributes do you consistently practice in your own life and with others?
- How would you need to change in order to help the church become more like the family of God pictured in Acts 2:42-47?
- What steps are you willing to take today, by the power of God to become more like what the Scriptures describe?