In an effort to help you prepare for the February 21st, 2016, Sunday morning corporate worship gathering and to aid you in your own reflections about church health and vitality, I wanted to pose a few questions and provide a few resources to prayerfully consider over the coming days. Our sermon is about how Compassion, Mercy and Justice are at the heart of God. The scriptures below are all referenced in the message.
From the Scriptures
- Read and prayerfully reflect upon these Scriptures asking God to shape your life and your church’s life to match the Scriptures where they are positive and to keep you from the struggles others experienced where: Exodus 34:4-7 (Also Read Exodus 32 in order to gain the context of God’s pronouncement), Deuteronomy 15:7-11, 26:12, 2Peter 3:9, Matthew 23:23-24, Amos 5:21-24
From the Creeds and Confessions
- Read and reflect on The Mission of God’s People, Article 41 & Article 48 from Our World Belongs to God: A Contemporary Testimony (2008 revision) or Articles 44 & 51 of earlier versions.
From the songs, hymns and spiritual songs of the Church
- Sing and reflect upon these songs:
For Thoughtful Reflection, Prayer, or further Study
- Reflect on the difference between Compassion and Justice. To which are you most drawn? Why?
- If you are unsure of the difference, Mae Elise Cannon provides a nice illustration here.
- Read this 5 page article on Justice and Compassion within a Kingdom Framework