Glorifying God by Knowing, Living and Proclaiming our Hope in Christ
January 19, 2020
9:30 a.m. Worship Service
11:00 a.m. Sunday School
Welcome to Hope in Christ Church! We are so glad you have joined us today. After the service, we invite you to stay for refreshments and fellowship, followed by Sunday School at 11:00. There are various small groups that meet during the week as well. You are welcome to visit and find one that is right for you!
Cookies for the Women’s Cold Weather Shelter: If anyone would like to provide homemade cookies for the women’s cold weather shelter, please let Terry know. The shelter is hosting approximately 40-45 women every night. Terry and Len will be volunteering at the shelter and can deliver cookie donations. The women’s shelter needs volunteers for regular shifts, but they also have a special need for drivers for the 6:00AM -7:30AM or 6PM-7:30PM shifts. If you would like to help, speak with the Vander Woudes or call Cassidy Schroeder at 360-592-7507.
Adult Sunday School: Today’s Sunday School class will cover “Before Amen” Session 2. There will be a guest speaker on January 26, and then “Before Amen” sessions 3 and 4 will be on February 2 and 9.
January Series Returns to Lynden: The award-winning January Series webinar returns to Lynden weekdays from Wednesday, Jan. 8, through Jan. 28 at 9:30 a.m. at Third CRC. The 15 live lectures, presented by Calvin University and top experts in their fields, will include topics such as poverty and hunger, immigration, mass incarceration, religious freedom, and the ethics of big data. For details about the speakers, topics, and listening options, visit www.calvin.edu/january. For more info about the Lynden webcasts, call Carol DeJong at (360) 354-1448 or visit www.third-church.org.
Reserve the date: A movie night is being planned for Friday, February 28th. Please mark your calendar and check future bulletins for the time and movie title.
Each week we pray for members of our church family. Suggested prayers are for their spiritual growth, opportunities to see Christ in their everyday lives, and anything else that God puts on your mind for them. This week please pray for:
- Len & Terry V
- Don & Tena V
- Ken & Elaine W
- Joe & Barb Z
- Clair & Hildred A
- Cathy A
Pray for Christians in Algeria: (ICR, January 16, 2020) Algerian Christians request prayer for a church in the city of Oran after a court ordered its closure on 12 January 2020. Twelve churches affiliated with the EPA (Église Protestante d’Algérie), the umbrella organization for Protestant churches, have been ordered closed since November 2017.
Algerian Christians ask us to pray that:
- the EPA leaders, together with all Algerian Christians, will know God’s strength and wisdom as they respond to current pressures.
- the court of appeals makes a decision to allow the church to be reopened.
- authorities will cease the systematic campaign to close churches and to restrict the freedom of Christians.
- the regulations governing non-Muslim worship will be amended and justly implemented, so that Christians will be able to worship freely.
- those responsible for these restrictions will know the conviction of the Holy Spirit and the forgiveness and new life offered by Jesus.
The congregation of Hope in Christ Church has made the Spirit-filled decision to move forward and become a healthy missional church. This week’s Missional Marker is: Global Perspective and Engagement (Acts 1:8)
- We raise the sights of our members beyond our congregation and community bydeveloping a Biblical worldview and often pray for and reference global matters.
- We have identifiable pathways to support the cause of Christ globally.
- Our people are equipped and growing in their ability to participate in the global dimensions of our ministry.
SERVANTS NEXT SUNDAY: JANUARY 26TH
- Ushers: Elaine S., Lou K.
- Prayer Room: Ida R.
- Cookies: Jen R., Rockelle R.
- Greeters: Helen B., Joe P.
- Serving Assistants: Clara, Kylie, Mattea
- Sunday School Observer: Elaine S.
- Children’s Leaders: Tena, Christine, Kylie, Ali
SUNDAY SCHOOL MEMORY VERSES
Marvel Matthew 28:18-20 Wonder Psalm 23:1-3 Dive Psalm 9
BIBLE READING FOR THIS WEEK
Pastor Scott’s sermon for January 26th is titled, “Submit to Government; Not Always Obey It.” If you would like to read in preparation, the main sermon text is Romans 13:2, 5-7. You may find more ways to prepare your heart for worship on our website: hopeinchristchurch.org. Click “Pastor,” then choose “Preparing Our Hearts for Worship” from the dropdown list.
This Week at Hope in Christ Church
8:15 a.m. Prayer upstairs, all are welcome
9:30 a.m. Worship
11:00 a.m. Sunday School
MONDAY (Office Closed)
6:00 p.m. G.E.M.S.
TUESDAY (Office Hours: 8:30-3:00)
6:00 p.m. Richards’ Bible Study (in home)
WEDNESDAY (Office Hours: 8:30-3:00)
9:45 a.m. Women’s Bible Study
THURSDAY (Office Hours: 8:30-3:00)
6:30 a.m. Men’s Support Group
1:00 p.m. Newsletter & Bulletin Deadline
7:00 p.m. Men’s Bible Study
7:00 p.m. Praise Team Practice
FRIDAY (Office Hours: 8:30-3:00)
SATURDAY (Office Closed)